Distilled and aged in South Africa
Whistler Rum Distillery was founded by three guys from South Africa keen on producing their own rum. Despite rum not being a popular spirit in their home country, they succeeded in their mission. Today the distillery is the largest rum distillery in South Africa that is dedicated to one sacred quest: to perfect and reinvent the ancient art of rum-making.
The Whistler Distillery is located on a farm in the Free State, South Africa. The distillery was designed and built by local engineers experts with long experiences in the distilling industry. To produce rums, Whistler only uses high quality KZM molasses, sourced from local sugarcane farms, brown sugar from Swaziland and barrels that previously we used for African brandy or whisky. Eventhough there are no legal regulations on rum in Africa, the founders of Whistler define true African style rum as follows:
1. African style rum must be produced in Africa
2. African style rum must be produced in equipment designed and built in Africa
3. African style rum must be produced by a born and bred African
4. only locally sourced sugarcane can be used for the production of rum
5. African style rum must mature in barrels that previously contained other African spirits.
Strong rum character molded by soft fruity notes gained from port barrels. It’s like the tattooed biker who refuses to wear a helmet, but rides for charity and loves his mom.